Data Assimilation (Code 7531)
Section Head: email@example.com
The Data Assimilation Section develops and applies techniques for the analysis and assimilation of atmospheric data, both conventional and remotely sensed, into multi-scale dynamic atmospheric prediction models. The primary systems used for this research are the three-dimensional NRL Atmospheric Variational Data Assimilation System (NAVDAS), and four-dimensional NAVDAS-AR (Accelerated Representer).
Products are transitioned to Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center for operational application.
The Data Assimilation Section is working in these main areas:
Data Pre-processing, Quality Assessment and Data Selection.
- Data ingest, pre-processing and quality control techniques
- Observation and analysis monitoring tools.
- Satellite calibration and validation
- Bias removal techniques
Global, Mesoscale, and Tactical-scale Data Assimilation.
- Three and four-dimensional variational data assimilation
- Hybrid data assimilation using ensemble and variational methods
- Ensemble data assimilation
- High-resolution surface land and marine surface wind analysis
- Land surface assimilation
- Coupled atmosphere-ocean data assimilation
- Adjoint-based observation impact
- Targeted observations and observability
- Nonlinear and non-Gaussian data assimilation
- Stratospheric and mesospheric data assimilation
Assimilation of Remotely-Sensed and Non-conventional Data Sources.
- Satellite radiances
- Satellite retrievals (Atmospheric Motion Vectors, ocean surface winds, integrated water vapor, aerosol optical depth)
- Global Navigation Satellite Services (GPS)
- Hurricane reconnaissance data, HDOB flight level data, SFMR, dropsondes
- UAS/UAV – unmanned aircraft systems, unmanned aerial vehicle